Deerfield Beach Review – Water so clear you can see your toes and take Pictures! What about the Sand?
Written by - Alex Richwagen June 2014
Deerfield Beach is located on the east coast of Florida, about an hour north of Ft Lauderdale and Miami putting right around the middle of the state. Along with the crystal clear water it has, Deerfield Beach has the matching pretty white sand to compliment as well. The sand has a bit of a drop-off from the sand, making the canvas appear a bit slanted, but it shouldn’t affect your decision to visit here. I remember visiting there several times and very much enjoying each and every stay.
One of the best parts about Deerfield Beach is the fact everything is very close and walking distance. I stayed at the Wyndham Deerfield Beach Hotel, which has to be the perfect location on the beach due to the fact once leaving the hotel, my feet hit the sand. The hotel has the perfect location when it comes to the beach, vicinity to restaurants and bars, and fact there is anything needed within walking distance. I would highly recommend this hotel above others for those reasons alone. Anyways, let’s get back to Deerfield Beach.
For anyone traveling from out of town, figure at least an extra $10-$20 per day per hotel for parking near the beach. Most hotels I have stayed at in my life offer free parking when staying at the hotel, unfortunately these fall on other side. Any hotel that’s near or on the beach will add an additional parking fee tacked on, so keep that in mind when booking. Parking in general is harder to find public lots or metered parking. I would recommend looking for a hotel or side lot to leave the car for the day as you go explore the beach.
How about food? Deerfield Beach showcases a few top notch spots that have extremely fresh seafood to serve. Let’s review over a few of those spots along with a good sports pub to catch a ballgame at night when the beachcombers need a break from the sand.
- Whale’s Rib – If you are looking for some great, fresh seafood without the “fluff” of a fancier spot, then look no further. It doesn’t get much fresher than the Whale’s Rib. They have everything from fresh oysters, stone crab claws, peel ‘n’ eat shrimp to a perfect Mahi Mahi sandwich (grilled, fried, or broiled). I’ve personally eaten all of the above at one time or another and I can tell you it’s nothing short of fantastic. Beyond those and some fresh lobster (bisque, salad, or whole lobster), there’s one item you absolutely must is the Whale Fries served with Whale Sauce. They are basically very thin shaven potato “chips” that are quickly fried, seasoned, and served with a house made Whale Sauce that is kinda like a tangy honey mustard meets ranch combination. Trust me, order a basket.
- Ocean’s 234 – Now, if you still want the fresh seafood, but a more upscale environment, this is your spot. It has some great appetizers to start off your evening like Crispy Calamari, Firecracker Shrimp or the fresh Pretzel Bread Bites with Fondue Cheese. The calamari and shrimp are both lightly fried and seasoned with sea salt and spices. Personally, I would go with a mixture of at least of 1-2 items (don’t pass up the Bread Bites with Cheese….my fiancé goes crazy for these) or perhaps grab the Smoked Fish Dip for its simple texture. The dinner menu…literally you could you try everything, but I’ll give a few recommendations. I’m a huge fan of pistachio so I naturally gravitate to the Pistachio Mahi Mahi. The nutty pistachio taste combines with the fresh dolphin so well. Other favorites of mine are the Local Caught Snapper and the Lobster Mac & Cheese (1/2 lb of lobster…yum!). Check the menu for yourself, so delicious.
- JB’s on the Beach – JB’s is probably the ultimate mix between a more upscale restaurant and more relaxed atmosphere. They have a live music schedule to hear who will be performing to compliment your meal. JB’s has an evolving menu that changes with the seasons to keep up with their customer’s needs. A few of my recommendations would be the Sesame Seared Tuna Salad or Janet’s Lobster and Shrimp Salad. Both cold, yet extremely tasty salads pack an ocean influence in every bite. Check out those delicious fish tacos above in the photo.
- Charm City Burgers – Not in the mood for fresh seafood? Want a bit of a change of pace or just a good ol’ fashion hamburger, but a lil’ dressed up? Look no further. Charm City Burgers is your spot. They have a simple menu to satisfy that burger craving. Charm City features a dozen or so burgers then has the traditional build your own type as well. Everyone seems to like burgers their specific way, but I’ll offer up a few suggestions. The Cowboy Style has thick cut bacon, cheddar cheese, and sautéed onions and mushrooms where all the flavors work together. The other is the Volcano Burger for those looking for a little bit of spice with Volcano Sauce, jalapenos, and pepper jack cheese. The spices naturally play off each other to create a few layers of zing and pop in your mouth. See the Cowboy Burger above featuring a fried egg on top. Yummy!
- Bru’s Room – Here’s the spot to find your favorite team and enjoy the ocean breeze. Bru’s Room is a spot for both sports lovers and beer lovers featuring over craft and bottle 75 beers on tap to choose from on their selection. The menu isn’t overly sophisticated and has your normal run of the mill bar food like chicken wings, chicken nachos, mozzarella sticks with sandwiches and salads to accompany. It’s one of those places that knows exactly what it does well and doesn’t over complicate things. It’s a great spot for the atmosphere alone. If you are searching for a sports bar while on vacation, this is your spot to go see a game and grab a beer.
Now that we have covered the beach, parking, food, how about what to do and where to stay. Beyond just relaxing the beach and catching some sun, there’s a spot on the beach to do the rest of your beach related activities. It’s called Island Water Sports and they have a variety of games to rent or buy. They have the following for rentals – and btw this is great for families with kids.
- Surfboards – $40 all day rental
- Stand Up Paddle - $60 all day rental
- Skim Boards - $20 all day rental
- Body Boards - $20 all day rental
If you don't find what you are looking for here, maybe you should try looking at different water games. Lastly, where to stay, let’s review the categories
Where to stay –
- Family –
- Singles or without kids –
- Luxury –
- On a Budget
Overall, Deerfield Beach is fantastic spot to get away for a few days or even a week to recharge those batteries before heading back to the real world of work. Just remember to relax by the water, dip your feet in, grab some fresh seafood, or whatever you want to be honest. If you would like to add to the article or feel like I missed your favorite spot, please feel free to leave it in the comments section so others can see too. I’m always willing to learn a new spot or ideas when it comes to Deerfield Beach.